<<< REVISED, April 26, Qualifying Round Requires 3 Icons Only >>>
We are looking for the creation of a set of eleven (11) separate mac 3D "desktop application" icons that will be used as our new website's navigation. (FYI - five (5) of them will be floating across the top of a dynamic full-screen Gallup "extreme" background image and the other six (6) in an icon ribbon set across the bottom of the page.) (See included image of rough concept mock-up, Gallup-Extreme-Homepage-Icon-Mock-up.jpg, as well as Mac 3D Icon Set Samples 1.jpg, Mac 3D Icon Set Samples 2.jpg, and Mac 3D Icon Set Samples 3.jpg)
The default initial state of each icon will be its icon symbol only, however, in its mouse-over state it will reveal title text to compliment understanding, (i.e., the symbolic icon for Extreme Magic will reveal the text "Extreme Magic"). (To see a sample of this functionality go to the bottom of this page http://www.themediaverse.com.au/)
>>>> QUALIFYING (first) ROUND OF COMPETITION - 3 ICONS ONLY
Although the complete set of mac 3D "desktop" icons will include five primary icons and six secondary icons, the first round of this competition will require only the first three (3) primary icons as follows:
> EXTREME TV, (representing Gallup's various extreme magic and deadly escapes TV productions, appearances, shows and series appearing in the US, Australia, Europe and Asia).
Specific creative direction: The "Extreme TV" icon should be handcuffed hands exploding, or bursting out of flames, out of the centre of a flat screen TV, (OR similar dynamic compelling "extreme TV" symbol). (See included images Hands from TV Screen.jpg, Hands in Cuffs 1.jpg and Hands in Cuffs 2.jpg) (Note: hands in Hands from TV Screen are good, (they just need handcuffs) and the blue fluid screen/background needs to be replaced by the hands "exploding" out of the screen! Or you can work with the hands and cuffs in Hands in Cuffs 1.jpg.)
> EXTREME MAGIC, (representing Gallup's various extreme magic, including street magic, stage magic, comedy magic and illusions).
Specific creative direction: The "Extreme Magic" icon could be the cliché magic top hat and wand being struck by a lightning bolt and blown/split violently apart, (i.e., envision a top hat sitting open end up with a magic wand laying evenly across the top of the hat, then both being struck by a lightning bolt from the top which violently blows/splits apart the top hat and wand!). In other words, "extreme magic" blows the $#!t out of traditional cliché magic! J (OR similar symbolic metaphor.) (See Top Hat and Wand Sample 1.jpg and Top Hat and Sample 2.jpg.) (Note: Top Hat 2 and wand look better but the hat needs to open end up as in Top Hat 1, and the wand (pre lightning bolt strike needs to be evenly laying across the top of the hat.)
> DEADLY ESCAPES, (representing Gallup's various death-defying escape stunts performed in the air, above the ground, on the ground and under the water).
Specific creative direction: The "Deadly Escapes" icon should be created from the image of Gallup jumping out of a plane bound in chains, padlocks and handcuffs, (see included image Gallup Skydive Escape.jpg). (Notes: FYI - Gallup's hands are locked in handcuffs, and his body wrapped in chains with a large padlock in the centre of his chest. Also note that the actual plane and/or relative perspective of the plane can be adjusted as needed to make it fit as an icon, i.e., reduce relative size of plane to frame Gallup larger in foreground, or use alternate plane like the one in the Gallup Death Dive.jpg, etc. You're welcome to use creative license so long as the extreme deadly escape is represented.)
>>>> SECOND ROUND OF COMPETITION (short list selected) - REMAINING 8 ICONS
> ABOUT US, (representing the "about us" categories: Gallup Extreme Productions, Gallup Extreme Magician & Illusionist, Gallup Extreme Escape Artist, and Gallup Corporate Entertainer Magician)
Specific creative direction: To be determined later, much easier/more standard than the above.
> CONTACT, (will link to a contact form as the site's only means of contact)
Specific creative direction: A mac-like 3D stylised version of a "contact form".
> MORE TV INFO, (smaller icon representing the various Gallup "TV" products and services on offer, including producing, events & appearances, hosting, programs & footage licensing, and consulting)
Specific creative direction: To be determined later.
> MORE LIVE INFO, (smaller icon representing the various Gallup "live" products and services on offer, including touring, casinos & theatres, corporate/VIP Entertainment, product launches, media events & publicity stunts, and consulting)
Specific creative direction: To be determined later.
> QUOTES, (smaller icon representing quotes from international press, TV, media, clients, buyers, etc.)
Specific creative direction: To be determined later, however, it will likely be a mac-like 3D stylised single or double quote marks.
> NEWS, (smaller icon representing the latest Gallup news/blog articles)
Specific creative direction: To be determined later, but again, a mac-like 3D stylised "news" symbol/icon.
> SUBSCRIBE, (smaller icon representing subscribe to our news/blog articles to receive the latest news and info, etc.)
Specific creative direction: To be determined later, but likewise, a mac-like 3D stylised "subscribe" symbol/icon.
> CONNECT, (smaller icon representing connecting with our various social sites, including our news/blog feed, facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Google+)
Specific creative direction: To be determined later, but a mac-like 3D stylised "connect" symbol/icon.
- Icons will be used in two sizes, one larger (about 1.5 x the size of a "normal" desktop icon) AND reduced smaller (about the size of a mac ribbon icon across the bottom of a mac desktop), (see included images of Mac 3D Icon Set Samples 1-3). In other words they all have to be clean and equally readable in both sizes.
- The primary top-of-page icons will be colour in their default state, and the bottom smaller icon ribbon set will be grey-scale in their default state, and will become colour when moused-over
- Although there will be title text associated with each icon, the icon MUST visually hold its own, (i.e., the symbol should be understood without its title text)
- Icons can be portrait, landscape or round so long as they are consistently symmetrical, but keep in mind they'll expand to reveal their title text (see http://www.themediaverse.com.au/ )
- Icons must be shiny "mac-like" 3D application icons, (see included sample images, Mac 3D Icon Set Samples 1-3)
- Icons can be full colour or use a simple colour palette that works with the existing logo and the provided mock-up, (Gallup-Extreme-Homepage-Icon-Mock-up.jpg) For example: if you use the lightning-struck-top-hat-and-wand idea above, the white in the sash around the black top hat could be replaced with the red from the logo, and the tips of the magic wand could be white, etc.
- There's no need to spend too much time playing around with the icon's title text font, as we can adjust that ourselves. It would be great if you chose an icon title font that works well with the icon AND the Gallup logo font (Attic Antique), but we're primarily after great icons!
- Icons should work well in colour and grey-scale, and over dark or black backgrounds as well
- Icons must read well on various resolution screens, (i.e., on mobile, tablet and monitors)
WE DON'T WANT:
- At this point, we are no longer interested in silhouette or 2D icons. (We are ONLY interested in clean mac 3D desktop icons per the samples included.)
- We do not want too much design divergence from the creative direction we have given above for the initial three (3) icons, (e.g., "extreme TV", "extreme magic" and "deadly escapes")... unless, of course, you can blow our suggestions out of the water!! :-)
We would like to have as much control and flexibility as possible with the final design files, (i.e., fully scalable, able to swap colours, etc.), so RGB vector Adobe Illustrator files would be our preference, however, if you’re more comfortable, or able to produce better designs in Photoshop, then that would be acceptable, provided you keep the designs large, multilayered, fully editable, etc.