Umati Capital is a start-up financial services company based in Kenya that aims to revolutionize access to finance through the consistent and innovative use of technology.
Launched in September 2012, we are a non-bank financial institution focused on the provision of credit and related payment technologies.
Our key product is invoice discounting: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/…ancing.asp
We are currently focused within agri-business supply chains, retailer value chains and fast moving consumer goods manufacturers. We leverage proprietary technology to provide branchless financial services to small scale suppliers, trading companies and industrial processors.
We have two key target audience segments:
1) Small-and-medium sized businesses
- based in urban and peri-urban areas although likely sourcing raw materials like fruits and vegetables from the profile in #2 below often
- business types range from sole proprietors to limited companies (majority are sole proprietors)
- basic English skills (more Kiswahili, the language in Kenya)
- access to a smartphone
- basic knowledge of business and financial products likely from own experience and not through formal education
2) Smallholder or small-scale farmers
- living in rural areas
- very limited access to the internet and to a smartphone
- basic to no English
- little knowledge of formal business or finance
- basic knowledge of basic financial products like savings accounts (no knowledge about our specific financing product)